What is rice?
- Rice is a type of grass commonly used as human food.
- Rice is rich in nutrients and contains a number of vitamins and minerals.
- It is an excellent source of carbohydrates - the best source of energy.
Type of Rice
Rice are categorized by its physical descriptions consist of short grain, medium grain and long grain. Rice from Thailand is the long grain, which exceeds 7 mm in length. Thai long grain rice also distinguished into two different textural types, regular and glutinous rice.
Long Grain Rice
Long and slender kernel 3-4 times longer than its width such as Basmatic Rice from India and Jasmine Rice from Thailand
Medium Grain Rice
Shorter and wider kernel 2-3 times longer than its width such as Calrose Rice from USA and Australian Rice.
Short Grain Rice
Short Grain Rice - Short, plump, almost round kernal such as Arborio from Italy and Japanese Rice.
Thailand is one of the main agricultural countries that produce rice for trading. Rice is an important commodity, which grows only in some areas of the world.
Rice Farming in Thailand
There are two categories of rice farming in Thailand, in-season and off-season rice farming.
- In-season rice farming refers to regular rice cultivation during the rainy season. It begins in May until October followed by a harvest period that ends in February. This farming method produces rice only once a year and takes approximately 120 days to grow. During the cultivation period, rice flowering can be expected precisely on the same month and day.
- Off-season rice farming is a rice cultivation method during the irregular period, which requires less support from the light for flowering. It can begin as early as in January and harvest in April, at the latest. It is common in the areas with the exceptional irrigation system like the Central part of Thailand. Cultivation takes approximately 90 days and can expect to produce up to 2-3 crops per year.